FLIP IT Resources
FLIP IT can be used in the classroom, on the playground, in the grocery store, in the car, at home … anywhere! See below for a variety of resources to learn about and use FLIP IT.
The following items are not available here, but can be purchased from our publishing partner Kaplan Early Learning Company:
FLIP IT! Transforming Challenging Behavior
Winner of the 2012 National Parenting Publications (NAPPA) Award
This informative book by Rachel Wagner, MSW, in partnership with the Devereux Center for Resilient Children, is designed to support all adults who interact with young children. It explains FLIP IT‘s four simple steps for transforming challenging behavior in young children: F – Feelings, L – Limits, I – Inquiries, P – Prompts. Teachers and parents can help children learn about their feelings and gain self-control by using that mnemonic. Learn to FLIP IT with the book’s practice pictures, reflection activities and real-life stories.
Practice Picture FLIP Book
FLIP IT Posters (set of 4)
These posters highlight the four steps: F – Feelings, L – Limits, I – Inquiries, and P – Prompts. They include the definitions for each step and sample lead-in phrases to provide a visual reminder of the FLIP IT steps for use in the classroom or home setting. Posters are in full color, 14×20″.
FLIP IT Pocket Cards (set of 20)
These FLIP IT Pocket Cards highlight the four steps of the strategy. They easily fit in a pocket or badge holder, providing a convenient reminder for teachers and parents in any location! Full color; purchase either 3×5 in. ($7.00) or 3.5×2 in. ($5.00).
FLIP IT Magnets (set of 20)
The FLIP IT Magnets provide a reminder lead-in phrase for each of the four steps. They are great for refrigerators or file cabinets, providing a convenient reminder for teachers and parents! Magnets are in full color, 3.5×2 in.
When FLIP IT! was being developed, an extensive literature review was conducted to inform the final approach. The literature review will provide confidence in the foundation of FLIP IT! and provide answers to questions that users may have about the strategy and how it fits within the larger context of managing children’s challenging behavior. Click here to view the literature review.
The following photos show pictures of children engaging in a variety of challenging behaviors. Use these photos to see and practice how to FLIP the child’s behavior. Remember, there are many possible ways to FLIP each scenario based on your interpretation of the photo. The sample responses are only one of several appropriate ways to respond to the situation. Check back often, as additional practice FLIPs will be added periodically!
Child is throwing and destroying toys…
- Feelings– “You are knocking down all the toys. You must be feeling pretty frustrated that the garage door wasn’t working.”
- Limits– “We keep our things safe.”
- Inquiries– “What can we do to help you with your broken toy?”
- Prompts– “You are good with tools! Do you want to use my tool box and try to fix the toys?”
Practice Worksheet for Download: Child Throwing Toys
Child is stuffing a toy in his pocket that does not belong to him…
- Feelings– “I see that you just put that car in your pocket. You love that car so much that you want to take it home with you.”
- Limits– “You may take it home if you follow the rules and sign it out.”
- Inquiries– “What do you need to do if you want to sign out that toy for the night?”
- Prompts– “Can you ask me to get the sign out clipboard?”
Practice Worksheet for Download: Child Taking Toy
Child is refusing to listen…
- Feelings– “I see you are pretending you can’t hear me. I wonder if you are feeling silly.”
- Limits– “We use listening ears.”
- Inquiries– “What can we do to help you listen?”
- Prompts– “Could I call you on my special phone to tell you my message…ring ring.”
Practice Worksheet for Download: Child Refusing to Listen
Flyer on FLIP IT!
- For a one-page flyer that provides more information on FLIP IT! in English: Download PDF
- For a one-page flyer that provides more information on FLIP IT! in Spanish: Download PDF