Spotlight on PD: Building Capacity to Support Young Children with Challenging Behavior: Two Train-the-Trainer Professional Development Offerings
By: Debi Mahler, LICSW, DCRC Director of Professional Development
As the Director of Professional Development for the Devereux Center for Resilient Children, I spend most of my days receiving calls from customers looking for quality professional development opportunities for their staff. As I inquire with customers about their professional development needs, I most often hear the need for training on how to handle challenging behavior in young children. Many of us are very familiar with the body of research that suggests that early behavioral problems can develop into more serious mental health problems which can lead to challenges in learning, developing healthy relationships, and the like (Joseph & Strain, 2003; Raver & Knitzer, 2002; Wentzel & Asher, 1995). To further support the early care and education field in supporting teachers who work with preschool children with challenging behavior, DCRC will be offering two professional development opportunities in the fall, specifically designed for people in the role of providing training and technical assistance to teachers. What a great way to build the knowledge and capacity of your program to effectively address this important need.
2.5 Day Facing the Challenge: Helping Teachers Better Work with Children with Challenging Behavior Train the Trainer Session, October 7-9, 2015, in Villanova, PA (suburb of Philadelphia). Click here for more information!
What is FACING THE CHALLENGE (FTC)?
FTC is an instructional, interactive DVD video series on challenging behavior in preschool children. The program includes 10 chapters that help teachers recognize, prevent, and plan strategies for helping children with challenging behaviors. Chapters include: *What is Challenging Behavior? * Developmentally Appropriate Behavior * Why do Kids Misbehave? * Parents as Partners * Prevention Strategies * Behavior Planning and Intervention Strategies.
The DVDs include a Trainer Guide with over 130 pages of suggested activities, handouts, ongoing professional development challenges, in addition to self-study documents for teachers using the material without a trainer.
The FTC Train-the-Trainer will:
- Prepare you to deliver 10 workshops of various lengths based on the chapters outlined on the DVDs
- Provide a CD with Powerpoint Slides for 10 workshops that can be scaled back or expanded to meet your needs
- Provide a Trainer’s Manual with Trainer Notes for each workshop
- Be facilitated by National Trainers and Authors, Barbara Kaiser and Karen Cairone
Free 1-hour webinar on Facing the Challenge
Join us for a 1-Hour free webinar, designed to provide more information on Facing the Challenge: Working with Preschool Children with Challenging Behavior! This webinar will be facilitated by internationally known authors and speakers on challenging behavior, Barbara Kaiser and Karen Cairone. The webinar will take place on Tue, Aug 18, 2015 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM EDT. To register, click here!
2-Day FLIP IT: Transforming Challenging Behavior Train-the-Trainer Session, October 19-20, 2015 in Villanova, PA (suburb of Philadelphia). Click here for more information!
What is FLIP IT®?
The FLIP IT Strategy is a four step problem-solving process rooted in developing emotional awareness in order to increase emotional control and reduce challenging behaviors in children ages 3-8. FLIP IT can be used with multiple children at the same time during minor challenges throughout a day or used as a targeted intervention that can support the emotional growth of a child displaying specific behavior concerns.
The FLIP IT Train-the-Trainer, facilitated by the FLIP IT author, Rachel Wagner Sperry, will:
- Prepare you to deliver a 1 day FLIP IT workshop (or five 1.5hr workshops) on how to implement the FLIP IT strategy
- Provide a CD with Powerpoint Slides for the 1 day workshop along with other resources to support training and technical support delivery on FLIP I
- Provide a Trainer’s Manual with Trainer Notes for the workshop
Free 1-hour webinars on FLIP IT
Considering attending the FLIP It Train-the-Trainer Session but need more information? Join us for a 1-Hour free webinar, designed to provide more information on FLIP IT facilitated by internationally known author and speaker, Rachel Wagner Sperry! These free webinars will be offered on multiple dates:
What is the difference between Facing the Challenge and FLIP IT?
- The Facing the Challenge Training is a comprehensive exploration of challenging behavior and what can be done to recognize it, prevent it and better plan strategies. FLIP IT is a focused exploration of ONE problem solving strategy that helps children understand their feelings and gain healthy coping skills.
- You get MORE options with Facing the Challenge, but you get to FOCUS on one specific strategy with FLIP IT.
- Facing the Challenge is the A to Z on challenging behaviors, FLIP IT is a concentrated look at only a few letters of the alphabet (in particular the FLIP IT acronym of F=Feelings, L=Limits, I=Inquiries and P=Prompts).
Questions? Please feel free to contact Debi Mahler, Director of Professional Development, at [email protected] or (610) 574-6141.