achieve first-hand wisdom of the way present day lesbians elderly 60 and over survived the 20 th century!
I didn’t be aware of we have been lesbians. We lived jointly thirteen years!
Whistling ladies is a special, candid selection of the existence studies of forty four lesbians among sixty two and eighty two years of age. This ebook explores new flooring with interviews approximately their stories, emotions, and options on a range of perspectivesfrom growing to be up throughout the melancholy and international battle II, to retirement and previous age on the top of the homosexual liberation stream. This unparalleled source captures a first-person view of lesbian background and files the struggles and achievements of the ladies who lived it.
All my education was once women-oriented
so i used to be in a position to see what girls and women may well supply to every other.
In Whistling ladies, those older girls percentage their perspectives on:
- adolescence and younger adulthoodfamily, social components, faith, education
- marriagehusbands, youngsters, divorce
- lesbian relationshipscoming out/closet relationships, function taking part in, butch and fem practices
- traditional politicsparty association, actions, issues, measure of feminism
- paintings and moneyfinancial preparations, domestic possession, funding houses
- lifestyles after 60retirement, future health, actions, groups
- and masses extra!
I dated. I went alongside. I did it simply because essentially it was once the item to do. yet I had crushes on girls.
Whistling girls provide you with unheard of data on those girls and comparisons with information amassed in different analyses on lesbian and heterosexual ladies. This learn comprises stories of:
- socioeconomic category in adolescence, mid-life, and at retirement
- point of schooling of members
- quantity and period of long term relationshipsboth heterosexual marriages and lesbian lover relationships
- age of first lesbian dating
- retirement statisticsyear retired, age at retirement
- fiscal assets after retirement (compared to normal US population)
If we had these items within the Fifties [gay bookstores and publications], how varied existence will be for many humans. yet we needed to pave the way.
This publication is critical for sociologists, homosexual and lesbian researchers, and gerontologists, in addition to a person attracted to women’s heritage. It additionally provides memories of lesbian/mixed barssome famousstarting within the Thirties, thoughts of the infamous Greenwich Village, the early improvement of lesbian social teams, and lesbian friendships with homosexual males. Whistling women identifies a number of the agencies that cater in particular to older lesbians, equivalent to OLOC (Old Lesbians Organizing for switch) and SOL (Slightly Older Lesbians).